Wednesday 9 February 2011

About this blog - 2

This blog has been quite popular.  It took just three days before over a thousand hits were recorded against the latest update and not much longer to reach 2000.

I hope the initial offerings did not give the impression that I am feeling sorry for myself.  These things happen and Margaret and I have already ‘moved on’ and are making our plans for the future.  We were lucky that our personal circumstances (such as no children in local schools) made leaving the country relatively straightforward.  And we are both very fortunate to be enjoying good health and recognise that our little mishap is nothing compared to the challenges many others face. 

My motives for doing this are very simple.  Given Patrick Naef’s terse (and crass) note announcing my departure it was not surprising that some people wondered if I had been involved in some financial irregularities.  Indeed, a number of company stalwarts told me that the company has never previously removed a senior manager from site immediately unless some serious financial misdemeanours had been committed.  I am happy to have been able to put the record straight. 

Notwithstanding that, I wanted everyone to know the truth about what happened.  Before we left town, I bumped into a number of colleagues (from all areas and at all levels of EG-IT)  and was given the same message - disbelief that I had suddenly left and concern about the direction EG-IT was taking.  At least everyone can now understand how I left and I hope no-one else will ever be treated in the same way.  I also hope that I can do something to get someone somewhere to take an interest in what is going on in EG-IT.  The current direction is not in anyone’s interests - neither its customers nor its staff.  All those people deserve better.

Someone spotted that publish dates thus far have been a month apart, but that was co-incidental.  You will see additions appear probably every three weeks or so.  This one does not count, so expect to see another one around the 20th.    

I have had a huge response but no-one has, as yet, asked me to publish the specific comments that they have sent to me.   As I stated before, I will be happy to do so without edit as long as I am requested to do so.  If you so wish, please include your email address so I can confirm authenticity before I publish.  In such case no email addresses will be published, but your name will.  Of course, all other comments will remain confidential with me.

I have received a number of requests to publish my email address, so I have set up a new one for such initial contacts.  It is tomb80 at hotmail dot co dot uk.  But now to the big conundrum . . .

A number of people want to be able to add comments in the future for all to see, but are concerned about being traced.  This presents a problem.  As I stated earlier, this blog will be “open and honest”, so I am not going to publish anonymous comments.  But the brutal truth is that you cannot safely be open and honest in EG-IT - look what happened to me!  Even the option of me moderating comments and confirming authenticity will not work because it could leave me open to accusations of selection and/or editing.  This is a big challenge - the answer to anyone in EG-IT who wanted to share something confidentially with impunity used to be “go and talk to Tom”, but I am not a lot of use now!  There are a number of Senior Managers in the department who I know are trustworthy, but I would hardly be enhancing their careers by naming them here!  Neither can I recommend that you confide in HR so I am afraid the only thing I can suggest is that, if you really want to share your concerns, you might want to talk to people you know and trust in the Business.  At least that way, your thoughts and concerns may possibly filter through.

This is truly a sad state of affairs.  I was totally committed to changing EG-IT into an organisation where anyone could raise any issues with anyone at any time.  I clearly failed.

No comments:

Post a Comment